John Boyne, Caddie.


I began my caddie career at the St. Andrews Links by chance not by design. My wife had encouraged me to attend a four day course being held in St. Andrews by the then Caddie Master, Rick MacKenzie, who after it was finished invited me to join his caddie Team for the summer of 2002. I thought that one summer caddying on the Old Course was too good an opportunity to miss for an enthusiastic golfer like myself, so I accepted. I am still here.


There is a lot to enjoy about working on the St. Andrews Links not least the friendships that have been made with my fellow caddies and golfers from across the world. These are ties that remain strong and true. It is also amazing to think that you have become a link to caddies and golfers that have gone before stretching back centuries.  

A few golfers that stand out from the +1500 rounds I have caddied at St. Andrews were the courageous blind lady golfer who went round the Old Course in 124 shots, a determined one armed golfer that broke 90 and the MS sufferer who never once complained or gave up and many more who were such a bag of nerves on the 1st tee of the Old Course that it took you three or more holes to calm them down before their natural golf game came to the fore.



All golfers eventually arrive at St. Andrews and we are lucky here at St. Andrews that the European Tour comes to the Old Course every year with the Dunhill Links Championship and then we have the Open Championship on a five year cycle. Among the professionals I have been fortunate to have caddied with are Ernie Els, Trevor Immelman, Nick Faldo, Thomas Bjorn, VJ Singh, Retief Goosen, Bill Rodgers, Tony Jacklin, Sam Torrance, Ray Floyd, Ian Woosnam, Susann Petterson, Paula Creamer, Si Re Pak and so many more that I am astonished at the list when I look back upon it. A special day was watching Arnold Palmer golf on the Old Course as my friend caddied for him during the R&A Autumn Medal a few years ago.



During the first three or four years working with and talking to so many golfers it became obvious to me how poorly they were being advised by less than thoughtful Golf Tour Operators. I decided to set up my own company, Caddie Golf Tours, with the aim of demystifying golfing at St. Andrews and providing straight forward information, honest advice and great individual golf tours across Scotland. Repeat clients over the last 3 years or so have proved that this simple formula is working.

I pass on a loving kiss to my dear wife for her encouragement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

St Andrews Winter Golf

The St. Andrews Town Match 2013

Cruden Bay Golf Club